November 26, 2020
I would have testified at the December Kona/Hilo meeting. However we will be our of the country. I also submitted comments on the HANSTF web site
Here are my comments and observations:
We live in the Waikoloa Village HI
– Is it possible to establish a No Fly Zone over Waikoloa Village ? If not, can the tour helicopters fly around the Village?
– Possible for these air craft to fly over water more often versus flying over land ? The FAA has already required this requirement for flights over the Long Island NY area.
– What Additional safety steps are tour operators taking with the fatal crashes on Kailua and Kauai ?
– Can all tour helicopter aircraft be equipped with Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B)
for the entirety of tour flights ?
– Require that tour flights always fly above 1,500 feet altitude over actual ground
– Require tour flights over occupied areas (including residential, commercial and recreational areas) to be no louder than 55 dbA, the same level of noise commonly allowed for residential areas.
– Can the aircraft’s operation/flight paths be modified to reduce noise levels or equipped with additional equipment to accomplish this
– Require that all regulations including updating any Air Tours Common Procedure Manual, include public engagement/comment
-Request FAA to implement National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) recommendations regarding Part 135 regulations, which most tour flights fly under. Prohibit tour flights from flying under less restrictive Part 91 regulations. This should certainly be considered with the recent Hawaii Island crashes.
Thank you for allowing me share my observations and comments.